Friday, August 12, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie

I have not been part of the blogging comminity for very long but I have to say that the outreach of strength, support and encouragment I have seen this week has been amazing! A member of our blogging community lost her husband this week to a sudden heart attack. Her request to the blogging community was to make a peanut butter pie today in memory of her husband, as it was his favorite.

 I, along with many other bloggers, made that pie today for Jennie, Mikey and their two young children. It was really touching to see just how many people were honoring her request. Those that were not able to make a pie today were just as gracious to leave a kind word of sympathy and encouragement for her. What an amazing community this is and I am so glad to be a part of it!

I used Jennie's recipe from her blog In Jennie's Kitchen (with a few minor changes) and let me just tell you, it was amazing! I have never had peanut butter pie before and after making this, this will be the only recipe I use. And each time I use it, I will think of Mikey. Jennie made her own Oreo crust and I have to admit that I cheated and bougt a store bought Oreo crust! Because the pie shell was smaller I had quite a bit of peanut butter filling left over. Rest assured it did not go to waste! I think I ate half of it then the rest I kept to use as ice cream topping!


Peanut Butter Pie - In memory of Mikey

1/2 C milk chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
8 oz. cream cheese
1 C creamy peanut butter
1 C confectioner's sugar
1  14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

Melt the chocolate in microwave.  Pour over bottom of cookie crust and spread on the bottom and up the sides of the crust. Place pan in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.

Pour the heavy cream into a bowl and beat until stiff peaks form.  Transfer to a small bowl and store in refrigerator until ready to use.  Place the cream cheese and peanut butter in a deep bowl.  Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.  With the low speed gradually beat in the confectioner's sugar.  Add the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Increase speed to medium and beat until all the ingredients are combined and filling is smooth.

Stir in 1/3 of the whipped cream into the filling mixture (helps lighten the batter, making it easier to fold in the remaining whipped cream).  Fold in the remaining whipped cream.  Pour the filling into the pie shell.  Drizzle the melted chocolate on top, if using, and refrigerate for three hours or overnight before serving.

Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

Shared with these great blog parties: Sweets for a Saturday, Church Supper

2 comments:

Krista said...

Hey cuz, it looks yummy. Be sure to log onto EMM today. There's a surprise waiting on you. You can pick it up here:http://everydaymomsmeals.blogspot.com/2011/08/foodie-friends-and-blog-award.html

Deeba PAB said...

It's wonderful to have so much support from food bloggers across the globe. Your pie looks delicious! What an outstanding community this is!