Sunday, August 14, 2011

Bruschetta Salad

Believe it or not, I just tried bruschetta a few years ago. I don't like tomatoes...at all! It's a texture thing, I think. However, I'm not a huge fan of red sauce either. I do like ketchup. I know, I'm picky! Much to my surprise, I loved the bruschetta! I found this recipe in an old book of my mom's and thought it sounded great so I thought I'd try it. It is super simple, which is great. I, of course, had to make some changes to make it mine.

The recipe called for tomato chunks but I thought it would be more bruschetta-like using diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano. The recipe also called for shredded parmsean, which I did use sparingly. I also added bocconcni which I suppose makes it a combination of a caprese salad and a bruschetta salad.  I used day old bread, but wanted a little crunch so I did slightly toast the bread in a skillet.



Bruschetta Salad
1 Can Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano
 1/2-1 C Italian Dressing
1/2 C Slivered Onion
1/2 C Shaved Parmesan Cheese
4-5 Bocconcni, diced
1/2 # day old bread, toasted
2 Tbsp butter, margarine

Melt butter in skillet. Cut bread into cubes and toast 3-5 mintues. Drain  tomatoes and pour into a large bowl. Cut bocconcni into quarters and add to the tomatoes. Add onion and bread cubes and toss. Sprinkle with shaved parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. 


Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

Shared with these great blog parties: Church Supper, Fresh Food Friday

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh you have gathered nice italians there.Thank to whoever invented bruschetta:)