I made a diaper cake for a friend's baby shower 1 1/2 years ago and it was so fun and easy!
3 Tiered Diaper Cake
50--65 newborn diapers (about 2 packages)
Rubber bands, small and large
20 oz. bottle baby shampoo
5 oz. bottle baby powder
Round tray or something to use as a base
Thick ribbon 1 1/2-2 inches wide
Embellishments (such as flowers, rubber duck, etc.)
1) Starting with front (open end) of the diaper, roll tightly from front to back. Wrap rubber band around diaper to secure. Repeat with all diapers (this is the most time consuming part)
2) After all diapers have been rolled you're ready to begin assembling the bottome tier of the cake. Place the base on the table and set the baby shampoo in the middle. Stand up vertically 5-8 rolled diapers to form a circle around the shampoo and secure with a large rubber band.
3) Create a second ring of diapers around the first. For this ring you will need approx. 12-15 rolled diapers. Use another large rubber band to hold these diapers securely around the first ring.
4) Create a third ring of diapers around the second. For this ring you will need approx. 20 rolled diapers. Again, use a rubber band to secure the third ring. Later you'll use ribbon to cover the rubber band.
5) Now we can assemble the second tier of the cake which will cover the rest of the shampoo bottle. Using 4-7 rolled diapers make a ring of diapers around the top of the bottle. Secure with a large rubber band.
6) Create a second ring of diapers around the first using 12-15 rolled diapers. Secure with a large rubber band. That completes tier two. Again, the large rubber band will later be hidden with ribbon.
7) Now for the top of the cake. Sit the baby powder bottle on top of the baby shampoo. This forms the foundation for the third tier.
8) Construct one ring of diapers around the powder with 4-8 rolled diapers. Secure with a large rubber band.
9) Place ribbon around large rubberbands on each tier then embellish with flowers, etc.