Thursday, June 2, 2011

Loaded Pierogies


Everytime I see a recipe for pierogies I have to laugh. My husband is a HUGE fan of them. He grew up eating homemade pierogies that his Polish grandmother made. She then passed on the recipe/technique to George's mom.

One year (about 7 years ago) during hunting season George had gone to camp for a few days so I decided to tackle homemade pierogies...and that's where the story begins! His mother's recipe was  an off the top of her head type of recipe. That's how her mom did it. So I started first with cooking the potatoes...so far so good...but 5 pounds of potatoes makes A LOT of mashed potatoes!! I made the dough..still good. Then I started rolling and filling. Everything was going good except three hours later I had not even made a dent in those mashed potatoes!

I called my grandmother and asked if she was busy and if she'd help me make these perogies. She graciously said yes so I loaded up my car and drove the 45 minutes to her house. She too could not believe the size of the bowl of potatoes!!  So we spent the afternoon together rolling the dough, filling it and by the end of the day we had successfully completed the perogies. As I was ready to leave I realized I didn't think far enough ahead about transporting the perogies back home! So we placed them on paper plates and stuck them in baggies. Grammy was worried about the pierogies sticking to the bag so she stuck toothpicks in the perogies that would keep the bag off of them. I was quite proud of my accomplishment and couldn't wait to make them for George.

When I got home from Grammy's I was still thinking about that huge bowl of potatoes. I pulled out the potato bag. Grammy was right, it wasn't 5 pounds, it was 10 POUNDS!!!- Mistake # 1

Fast forward a week..I am about to make dinner and proudly take the homemade pierogies out to cook and realize I froze them with the toothpicks in them!! So I had to boil them then take the toothpicks out which worked for a while but then the toothpicks would break off and you'd have to be careful when eating it that you didn't swallow it! - Mistake # 2

When I set the plate of pierogies infront of George he tried SO hard not to laugh. He tried and tried then he burst out until he was crying. He said the pierogies were perfect but they were so small! Apparantly his mom made them the size of a dinner plate! No wonder it didn't take her near as long to make them! - Mistake # 3

What an experience it was! I can honestly say I have never made them since, we've stuck with Mrs. T's!

Loaded Pierogies
Photo From: Hungry Housewife
6 Pierogies-
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Cloves of Garlic
Salt- a nice pinch
Pepper- a nice pinch
6 Tbsp Creme Fraiche or sour cream
3 slices of Cooked bacon, crumbled
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Chopped Chives
In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter. Add the pierogies. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the pierogies. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side. When the pierogies have about 30 seconds left add the garlic. Sauté until garlic becomes fragrant.
Remove the pierogies from the skillet.
Top each pierogie with 1 Tbsp of Creme Fraiche or Sour Creme, then the bacon,cheese and chives.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: