Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Caramel Apple Butter

I know this is a fall recipe , I am not at all wishing summer away! I love making apple butter in the fall- the house just smells amazing. I never thought of caramel apple butter and stumbled upon this recipe today. I had to post it before I forgot! It's definitely one I want to try in the fall, if I can wait that long. I've read that this really cooks down and you only get a a few jars. I think I may experiment using white and brown sugar.

Caramel Apple Butter

3 lbs apples
1/2 cup water or 1/2 cup apple juice
2 cups white sugar 
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger 
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
21 caramels

Peel, core and chop apples. Add apples and water/applejuice into a large pot.  Over medium high heat cook apples until just tender.  Remove apples with a slotted spoon-puree using a food mill, food processor, whatever you have on hand. (discard fluid in pot). Return puree to pot;  Add the sugar stirring well. Return to medium high heat-you want mixture to bubble. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until butter is thick and has a spreadable consistency.  Add the ginger, cloves and cinnamon, stirring well. Add the caramels; Turn the heat up to medium low, stirring constantly until caramels are melted. Ladle butter into clean hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal. Process in a boiling water bath canner 10 minutes for pints, 5 minutes for half pints. 

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: