When I made this I followed the recipe as stated from Mommy's Kitchen. After making the cake, I found a recipe for it on All Recipes which was almost identical except they added 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract. One of the things I love about All Recipes is the reviews which can give great advice when making the recipe. With the reviews of this cake I found that several suggested to only use cream of coconut and not the sweetened condensed milk. The cake was very sweet so I will make this change the next time I make the cake.
Below you'll find the recipe with the changes I made. If you would like a step-by-step photo tutorial head over to Mommy's Kitchen.
1 White or french vanilla cake mix
Eggs, Oil, Water (according to cake mix directions)
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 8 oz. tub of cool whip
1 cup sweetened coconut
1/4 cup toasted coconut
1 15 oz. can cream of coconut (I used Coco Lopez- found in the asile with the drink mixes)
- Prepare cake mix and bake according to package directions for 9 x 13 pan, adding 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract.
- Remove cake from oven and poke holes in cake in even rows using a straw.
- Pour 1/2 of the cream of coconut over the cake. Wait 5 minutes then pour the rest of the mixture over the cake making sure the get the cream of coconut in the holes.
- Cool completely
- Referigerate several hours or overnight
- Toast 1/4 cup coconut for garnish. Watch carefully, burns quickly!
- Spread Cool Whip over cake.
- Sprinkle 1 Cup sweetened coconut over top of cake and the add the toasted coconut for garnish.