Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Coconut Cream Cake

I found this recipe shortly before Easter and knew I wanted to try it ASAP so I made it for one of our Easter celebrations. It was very simple and it was a huge hit!

 When I made this I followed the recipe as stated from Mommy's Kitchen. After making the cake, I found a recipe for it on All Recipes which was almost identical except they added 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract. One of the things I love about All Recipes is the reviews which can give great advice when making the recipe. With the reviews of this cake I found that several suggested to only use cream of coconut and not the sweetened condensed milk. The cake was very sweet so I will make this change the next time I make the cake.

Below you'll find the recipe with the changes I made. If you would like a step-by-step photo tutorial head over to Mommy's Kitchen.

Ingrediants:

1 White or french vanilla cake mix
Eggs, Oil, Water (according to cake mix directions)
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 8 oz. tub of cool whip
1 cup sweetened coconut
1/4 cup toasted coconut
1 15 oz. can cream of coconut (I used Coco Lopez- found in the asile with the drink mixes)

Directions

  1. Prepare cake mix and bake according to package directions for 9 x 13 pan, adding 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract.
  2. Remove cake from oven and poke holes in cake in even rows using a straw.
  3. Pour 1/2 of the cream of coconut over the cake. Wait 5 minutes then pour the rest of the mixture over the cake making sure the get the cream of coconut in the holes.
  4. Cool completely
  5. Referigerate several hours or overnight
  6. Toast 1/4 cup coconut for garnish. Watch carefully, burns quickly!
  7. Spread Cool Whip over cake.
  8. Sprinkle 1 Cup sweetened coconut over top of cake and the add the toasted coconut for garnish.
** Note** When storing the Crean of Coconut can become congealed and gray. Don't panic!  Tina over at Mommy's kitchen had a great tip for this. Soak can in warm water for 5 minutes, give can a good shake and THEN open.

Enjoy!!

No comments: