Follow these three simple steps and you will have a perfectly ripe watermelon everytime!!!
1. Check the WEIGHT- The heavier the better! A good watermelon is 92% water.
2. Look for the BUTTERY YELLOW GROUND SPOT- A ripe watermelon has a deep green rind with a buttery yellow spot where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.
3. Look for a SMOOTH rind. - Make sure it's free of cuts, dents and bruises.
How to cut a watermelon
1. Wash the watermelon- you don't want any of the yuckiness from the outside getting inside your watermelon!
2. Cut the watermelon in half then into quarters
3. Make vertical cuts about 11/2 " apart, all the way to the rind.
4. On one side make horizontal cuts about 1 1/2 " apart. Repeat on the other side.
5. If done correctly you will have perfect little cubes!
** For a great step-by-step photo tutorial of how to cut a watermelon check out Our Best Bites.