Monday, May 23, 2011

Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken


Photo from:
Life as a Lofthouse @blogspot.com

My family and I love Chinese food and I make it quite often so I was happy to find yet another dish to make at home. Chinese cooking does contain a lot of fried food so when I saw it was baked it moved to the top of my "to try" list. I found this recipe over at Life as a Lofthouse- Holly has some great recipes listed on her blog so I'd recommend checking her out by clicking on the link I provided.

 Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken 

Chicken coating:

3-4 boneless chicken breasts     
salt + pepper                                            
1 cup cornstarch                                                                                          
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

Sweet and sour sauce:

3/4 cup sugar
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

       Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Rinse chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs.  Heat  1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of the sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken. Bake for one hour and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes.  

No comments: