Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pumpkin Scones with Berry Butter

The weather is becoming cooler, leaves are beginning to change and I am craving all things pumpkin.I live in the Northeast so I get to experience all four seasons. I love each of them for thier own uniqe qualities and beauties. I honestly don't think I could live where I didn't get to wittness the change of sesons. That's not saying I couldn't do without a little less snow but it is what it is.

 Anway, I absolutely love fall! I love fall activities like visiting the pumpkin farm, apple picking at the apple orchard. I love apple cider, apples, pumpkin and all the other fall flavors. I have several fall recipes lined up and decided to try the pumpkin scones first. It was a hard decision, but it was well worth it! They were delicious.


I had clipped this recipe from a October/November 2008 issue of Taste of Home. I love going through my recipe box finding recipes that I forgot I clipped and have yet to try- especially when they turn out as good as this one did!


Pumpkin Scones with Berry Butter

2 Tbps dried craberries
1/2 c boiling water
1/2 c butter, softened
3 Tbsp powdered sugar

dough:

2 1/4 C all purpose flour
1/4 C brown sugar, packed
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 C cold butter
1 egg
1/2 C canned pumpkin
1/3 C milk
2 Tbsp chopped pecans, optional


Place cranberries in a small bowel; add boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and chop. In a small mixing bowl beat butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and and cranberries; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pie spice, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl whisk egg, pumpkin and milk. Add to crumb mixture just until moistened, stir in pecans.
(goal is to work with the dough as little as possible. Over working it will make the scones tough. )
Turn dough onto a floured surface(dough will be sticky but crumbly); knead 10 times (again, trying not to overwork the dough). Pat into an 8 inch circle. Cut into eight wedges; separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 12-15 mintues.
Serve warm with berry butter.

Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Michael Ann said...

Hi. This photo caught my eye immediately on the Lady Behind the Curtain blog hop. I love scones and have been looking for a good pumpkin scone recipe. Will give this a try, thank you!

Michael Ann said...

Also, thank you for having a "print" button! I have one too on my blog. I think it just makes things SO much easier!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting idea:)Berry sauce with pumpkin scones.I am curious now how that tastes:)