Monday, August 15, 2011

Squash & Zucchini Cakes

I was very fortunate to have been given several zucchini and yellow squash. I was trying to find ideas on how to use them when I remembered I had this recipe. I found it in a Paula Deen recipe book a couple of years ago. I don't, however, remember which book.

After grating the zucchini and squash be sure to remove as much moisture as possible. I even let them sit for an hour (covered in paper towels) and pressed again to remove as much excess moisture as I could. The directions said to use the fine side of a box grater, but I used my food processor and didn't see a problem with it. The only change I made was to add some minced garlic.

I thought these were good. To me, they had a unique flavor. My husband and my son did not care for them, but they are much pickier than I am!


Squash & Zucchini Cakes

3 medium zucchini
3 medium squash
1 C Panko, toasted
1 C Parmesan Cheese
1/3 C Vidalia Onion, minced
1 Lg egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper
minced garlic (to taste- I like a lot!)
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp olive oil

Grate zucchini and squash with a fine box grater ( I used my food processor). Press between papertowels to remove excess moisture. In a bowl combine zucchini, squash, Panko, Parmesan cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic. In a large skillet add olive oil and melt butter over medium heat. Cook 3-4 minutes per side until lightly browned.


Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

Shared with these great blogs: Everyday Mom's Meals

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I am fortnate to find all this wonderfull new recepies for zuccini as I have a bumper crop every year:)

Tricia @ Recipe Roundup said...

Yes, zucchini do grow like mad, don't they?! I enjoy reading your comments!