Thursday, August 25, 2011

Caramel Coffee

I was never a coffee drinker...until I had a baby! Then I found that jolt of caffeine a huge help during those early morning hours. My son was on a schedule when we brought him home from the hospital. If I stayed up for an 11:00 PM  feeding then I got up at 3AM and got to sleep again until 7 AM. ...not to shabby for a newborn! So it's never been that my son didn't sleep well at night he is just a SUPER early riser. The moment his open his feet hit the floor! Sometimes I even think his feet hit the floor before his eyes open. When he wakes he is ready to go! So by mid-afternoon I usually need a pick-me-up. I swear, I don't think I've ever had as much energy as he does!

While I have learned to like coffee, I am a seasonal coffee drinker. I only like it in the fall/winter months. When I found this recipe I knew I wasn't going to be able to wait until fall/winter to make it. Today was a rainy day and the temp dropped below 80 so it's cool enough for me to try this sweet concoction!

The first time I made this I followed the directions and added the caramel topping to the coffee pot and I didn't find that I could taste it at all. So the second time I decided to add the caramel topping to my cup, then add the coffee and liked it much better. I thought it was sweet, but not overly sweet. It had just a hint of caramel flavor and the cool whip and the toffee bits...yum!

I purposely did not add amounts in the directions, because it's all a matter of personal preference. I am a coffee wimp and do not like strong coffee! I also like it sweet so I added a little more caramel flavoring to my cup. If you think it sounds good, play around with it until you get the result you are looking for!


Caramel Coffee
Adapted from Kraft

Coffee
Cold Water
Caramel Dessert Topping
French Vanilla whipped cream, thawed
English toffee bits

Pour cold water into coffee maker and place coffee in brew basket.  Add desired amount of caramel topping to coffee cup and add hot coffee, stir until well mixed. Top with cool whip and chocolate covered toffee.

Enjoy!



4 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Sounds delicious! Pour me a cup!

Anonymous said...

Nothing above good cup of coffee for confort and enjoyment.This combo sounds great:)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I think you could convert me from tea back to coffee with this drink...mmmmmmmmmmm.

Abby said...

Such an easy recipe, yet so delicious! I'm craving this right now. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely try this.