Friday, June 3, 2011

Parsnip Fries

What is a parsnip you may ask. A parsnip is a root vegetable and looks like a carrot, but it's white. Parsnips are much sweeter than carrots, especially when cooked. I like them best roasted in the oven.

My grandfather, a.k.a 'Popeye' grew Parsnips in his garden. He would leave them in the ground over the winter and harvest them in the Spring. One year in early Spring my husband and I were at my grandparents visiting,it was very cold and the ground was still snow covered. While Grammy was making dinner Popeye asked my husband to go out to the garden with him. The look on my husband's face was priceless! He, of course, would never say no but couldn't understand WHY he'd be digging something out of the garden when the ground was still frozen. My husband had never heard of a parsnip before let alone tried it so that was his first introduction to the vegetable!

This is my favorite was to make parsnips. I can't say I actually have a recipe for it but I did my best guesstimating at the amounts!

Parsnip Fries

1 1# bag of parsnips
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 clove of minced garlic
Pinch freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Peel parsnips and trim tops and bottoms. Cut each parsnip into 'fries' about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick. Place parsnips in bowl and toss with EVOO, salt, minced garlic and pepper. Mix so that they are well coated.

Place parsnips in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for 15 minutes then remove from oven. Turn each parsnip with a fork to allow for even baking. Return to oven for approx. 10 minutes or until golden brown and tender.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: