Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dried Apple Chips

My son loves dried apples so I was happy to find this recipe. My mom had a dehydrator when I was growing up and I remember it taking forever. Besides the time, I don't want another appliance in my house! My husband and I have done jerky in the oven so I don't know why I never thought about doing apples. I just had one of those moments where you slap your forehead and ask, "Why didn't I think of that?" I found this recipe at Cathy's Kitchen Journey.

Dried Apple Chips
Picture from
Cathy's Kitchen


1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water
2 green apples, preferably a tart and crisp varietal such as Granny Smith (peeling optional)

Cut the apples in half crosswise and core with a melon baller. Using a mandolin slicer, slice the apples crosswise into paper-thin rounds. Drop the sliced apples in the syrup immediately and heat gently for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the sliced apples cool in the syrup, at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 175ºF. Carefully remove the apple slices from the syrup and place gently on sheet pans lined with silicone mats or parchment. Dry in the 175ºF oven until crisp, at least 2 hours.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: