Monday, June 6, 2011

Amish Breakfast Casserole

I lived in Harrisburg for many years and being that close to Lancaster (PA Dutch and Amish Country) I collected some good recipes. I don't know if they are 'authentic' Amish recipes, however! When I initially posted this recipe I had not tried it and realized the directions were a little unclear. It was on an old recipe card at the bottom of my box. This recipe soon became my most viewed post so I thought not only should I try it but I should clarify the directions.

I did make some changes to the original recipe and they are reflected below. I'm really glad I made this and was really happy with the changes that I made. There was enough of the egg mixture to bind it together. It had a fluffy bottom but the top was crispy because of the bread, cheese and bacon- delish!

Amish Breakfast Casserole

 8 slices of white bread, cubed
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb sausage, ham, or bacon
 3 lg eggs
 1 1/2 C C milk (can use evaporated milk also)
 1 tsp salt
 1 tsp paprika
 1 tsp  ground mustard
 1/2 tsp oregano
 1/2 stick melted butter

 Preheat oven to 350. Grease a casserole dish and set aside. If using sausage or bacon, cook and drain. Crumble bacon if that was your meat of choice. Place cubed bread in dish. Pour melted butter over bread. Add meat(s) and sprinkle with grated cheese. Beat eggs and milk, stir in seasonings and pour over bread cubes. Bake for for 25 minutes, uncovered.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: