Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Easy Egg Rolls

This is something I have never attempted but am going to. My just loves egg rolls, which really surprised me! I think when I try this I'll make it along with the Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken I posted then I won't feel so bad about frying the egg rolls. Although see the note below. Holly from Life as a Lofthouse is where I got this recipe and she says she's baked them and they were equally as good! For a step-by-step photo tutorial be sure to check out Holly's blog.

Easy Egg Rolls

Yields: 10 rolls

Picture from Life as a Lofthouse
10 Egg Roll wrappers
1/2 lb Pork Sausage (I'm going to use chicken)
1 cup Carrots, chopped
1 cup Cabbage, chopped
1/4 cup Green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon Teriyaki Sauce
Oil, for frying

Directions:  Start by heating a small skillet with oil. Temperature of oil needs to reach atleast 350 degrees. (Make sure you use a thermometer, you dont want the oil to go over 350, or it will burn the egg rolls)
    In a large skillet brown the pork sausage over medium heat. Break into really small pieces. Once thoroughly browned, add in the Teriyaki sauce and all the veggies. Stir well and continue to cook until veggies are thoroughly heated. About 10 minutes.
     Place one egg roll wrapper on a plate. Add 1/4 cup of egg roll mixture into the middle. Fold bottom half of egg roll over mixture. Wrap in both sides, and then roll all the way up. ( If am not making an ounce of sense on how to wrap these, then just look at the pics below to see how you do it )
Wrap all 10 egg rolls. Cook in oil, two at a time for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oil, and place on a paper towel lined plate. Let cool 5 minutes before eating!

**For Healthier Version: These can easily be baked! Peheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with Olive Oil or Plain cooking spray. Place egg rolls onto cookie sheet. Lightly coat egg rolls with spray, and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: